No, I did not get a kitten. Hubby is allergic, and I’m a dog person. 🙂 We’ll have to haggle later with the kids, because they love cats. But I digress….
Progress! I’ve made some!
Last week, I finished the final round of revisions to Queen Witch. Extensive changes resulted from one beta reader’s input. My buddy Brooke spent a LOT of time with QW, and really, she did a full-on edit. Since receiving her comments in November, I’ve added about 10,000 words to the book — it now has more tension, more action, more magic, more foreshadowing, and more of what makes my characters tick. I’m very proud of the improvements, and very appreciative to Brooke for taking so much time to help me improve my book.
Here’s a bit of a tangent: Brooke and I are real-life buddies, so we have a chance to occasionally stroll around just chatting about fiction, fantasy, and the stories bubbling up out of our brains. Brooke has always supported and encouraged my publishing adventure, but this was the first of my writing projects she had her hands in prior to publication. It won’t be the last! Brooke has agreed to be my “alpha reader” and critique partner! I’m super excited about this. I’ve never had a critique partner, and I think the fact that we’re friends and VERY comfortable together (including saying “No! And this is why…”) is incredibly important to me. I’m looking forward to sharing the second Foulweather Twins book with Brooke right after I finish the first draft. She’s working on a story centered on angel mythology that I can’t wait to read — it’ll be so much fun to see what she puts on the page, and how I can help her improve it. So — critique partners!! Yay!
QW is now back with a couple of very helpful writer friends (including the inexhaustible Brooke) who are doing an error check for me. Since I added about 10,000 words, it pretty much needed another round of beta reading. So, that’s in progress. I still plan to publish QW in February.
I’ve also been slowly adding to the second Foulweather Twins book. I’m at just over 11,000 words there. My goal continues to be to write an average of 500 words per day. The last two weeks I’ve only managed half that amount, so I need to kick it up a notch. If I can get in extra word count, that would be great! I’d love to finish the first draft by the end of March, but I know publishing QW will take some time, and I’m also revising another Children of the Sidhe paranormal romance novella to publish this spring.
Best of luck to everyone in the coming week!